Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Visitors vs Residents

After learning about the idea of being an Internet visitor as opposed to resident, I think that personally I fall somewhere in between the two, honestly probably more so on the visitor side. I have had a Facebook for years and a MySpace before that, but even with those I am not very interested in creating a projection of my identity online. I rarely post status updates, check ins, or photos (though I'm occasionally tagged by others) and consider Facebook to be more of a way to keep in touch with people from high school, distant family, or other groups of people with whom I wouldn't necessarily call or text with personal or group messaging or seeing people's updates on the newsfeed. I did have a twitter before this course but it was really just because my dad wanted me to help him figure it out so he could use it for work, and I had never tweeted anything or followed anything before. I've also never had a blog, I don't honestly like the idea of posting my thoughts or personal things on the Internet too much and never really felt the need, though I do like to look at other's blogs that I come across if they are interesting. I do love to use the Internet and computer tools like the apps offered on the iPad. I use google and Pinterest constantly every day to get new ideas for all different areas of life. I also do a lot of research on the Internet for educational purposes and just for life or interest. I do think that the Internet is a great tool that should be used by teachers and their students in and out of the classroom to enhance learning among other things. I also think it is a great way to get ideas from other teachers for lesson ideas or activities, etc.
I don't see my relationship with the Internet changing too much in the future because I do not really like the idea of creating, managing, and developing too much of an identity online. I do think there would be some value in creating a classroom blog as a teacher to update parents on what is going in in the classroom in a more accessible way, and that students could log onto to interact with or share with others what their class is like. For me though, the Internet definitely is more of a tool that I think can be very useful in some ways, though I hesitate at the idea of becoming more of a resident.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with many of your points Gwyn, in particular that our technological abilities as an educator go far beyond our ability to create a digital presence.

    ReplyDelete